× About MERIDIAN Participation in MERIDIAN FAQs Locations MERIDIAN Timeline Am I Eligible? About Clinical Trials Understanding Clinical Research Terms
This website would like to use third party cookies to analyze traffic. This analytics data will be anonymized and can’t be used to identify you.
For more information, please review our
Accept
I do not accept cookies
Privacy Policy

Use these links to tell a friend or family member about MERIDIAN

About MERIDIAN

MERIDIAN is a Phase 2 clinical trial evaluating the effectiveness and safety of the investigational medication, pegcetacoplan, in adults with sporadic ALS.

MERIDIAN Eligibility

To participate, you must:

  1. Be at least 18 years old.
  2. Have been diagnosed with sporadic ALS.
  3. Have a slow vital capacity (SVC) of at least 60% of the predicted value at Screening.
  4. Have experienced the start of ALS symptoms within the past 72 weeks (approximately 16.5 months), as determined by the study physician.
  5. Not have other causes of neuromuscular weakness, and have not been diagnosed with another neurodegenerative disease (examples include Parkinson’s disease and Huntington’s disease).

Additional criteria will be assessed to determine eligibility.

 

Participation in MERIDIAN

Participation in MERIDIAN is expected to last for approximately 2 years and may be followed by a Long-Term Extension Study.

  1. Year 1: Study participants will be randomly assigned (randomized) to either receive pegcetacoplan or placebo for the first year of the study. There is a 67% (2 in 3) chance of receiving pegcetacoplan, and a 33% (1 in 3) chance of receiving placebo during the first year of the study. Neither the participants nor their study team will know the study treatment group assignment.
  2. Year 2: All study participants will receive pegcetacoplan during Year 2 of the study.
  3. Clinic Visits: There are up to 8 in-clinic visits in Year 1 (including screening) and 3 in-clinic visits in Year 2.
  4. At-Home: Additional assessments will be done at home and via the phone.

Frequently Asked Questions about the MERIDIAN study

If I am taking riluzole and/or edaravone, can I be in the study?
What is the investigational medication?
How is the study drug administered?
How long is the study?
Will it cost me anything to participate?
Why is there a placebo in MERIDIAN?
Does connecting with a MERIDIAN study clinic require or guarantee participation?

Locations

MERIDIAN is a global clinical trial.

The map below shows the countries and enrolling sites that this website is connected to.

If you do not see a site in your country at this time, you or your physician can email ClinicalTrials@Apellis.com to find out if any sites are enrolling participants in your country.

MERIDIAN Timeline

After Screening, MERIDIAN will take you approximately 2 years to complete. The study is made up of four main periods.

Screening
  1. To confirm eligibility for the study
  2. Up to 6 weeks
  3. Up to 2 in-clinic visits
Randomized Treatment Period Year 1
  1. To evaluate the safety and effectiveness of pegcetacoplan compared to placebo
  2. Participants will have a 67% chance of receiving pegcetacoplan and a 33% chance of receiving placebo
  3. 1 year
  4. 6 in-clinic visits
  5. At-home assessments
Open-Label Treatment Period Year 2
  1. To evaluate the long-term safety and effectiveness of pegcetacoplan
  2. All participants will receive the investigational medication, pegcetacoplan
  3. 1 year
  4. 3 in-clinic visits
  5. At-home assessments
Follow-Up Period
  1. To check the health of participants after their last dose of study drug
  2. No study drug administration
  3. 6 weeks
  4. 1 in-clinic visit

Note: After completing Year 2, participants may be able to participate in a Long-Term Extension Study.

Am I Eligible?

Answer the following questions and click Submit to check if you may be eligible to be referred to a participating MERIDIAN study site.

Clicking Submit does not mean that you are confirmed to be eligible for study participation, and it does not obligate you to participate in the study.

If you are eligible to be referred to a participating MERIDIAN study site for further discussion and evaluation, you will be asked to enter your contact details (i.e. name, email, telephone number) and to choose the study site nearest to you. The contact details you provide will be securely transmitted to your chosen study site.

1

Have you been diagnosed with sporadic ALS?

2

When did you start experiencing symptoms in your muscles that caused you to seek medical evaluation or treatment?

3

The last time you had your SVC (slow vital capacity) measured, was it at least 60%?

4

Are you currently taking riluzole or edaravone to manage your ALS symptoms?

5

Have you been diagnosed with a neurodegenerative disease other than ALS (examples include Parkinson’s disease and Huntington’s disease)?

6

Have you been diagnosed with any of the following lung diseases: chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), pulmonary fibrosis, cystic fibrosis, pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)?

7

Have you ever had an organ transplant?

8

Are you currently pregnant or breastfeeding/nursing?

You may be eligible

Based on your answers, you are eligible to be referred to a participating study site to discuss the study and potential participation in more detail. To speak with a study site, please enter your contact information and select the location that is most convenient for you.

Your chosen site will attempt to follow-up with you within 10 business days. Please only submit your information to 1 location.

Travel support may be available to eligible study participants. The study site can provide more information about this.

If you are a physician who would like to know more about the study, please contact the sponsor by emailing ClinicalTrials@Apellis.com


I acknowledge that I am at least 18 years old and I consent to being contacted by the study site selected about taking part in this study, and I consent to my data being processed by Longboat as outlined in their Privacy Policy.

Thank you

Thank you. Your information has been sent.

OK

Error

There has been an error submitting your information. Please resubmit the form.

OK

You are not eligible

Based on your answers, this study is not a good match for you. Thank you for your interest in this study.

To find other ALS clinical trials that may be a better match, visit ClinicalTrials.gov

OK

About Clinical Trials

What is clinical research and clinical trials?

Clinical research is the process of studying diseases and developing medications to possibly prevent, treat, or help relieve symptoms caused by different medical conditions. Before a medicine can become widely available, it must be tested in a series of clinical trials, or clinical research studies. The medicine being studied or tested in a clinical trial is called an investigational medication.

Clinical trials provide valuable information and may help researchers to understand a condition better and learn how best to treat it, or may lead to new or better treatments being made available. There are usually 3 phases of clinical trials before an investigational medication can be approved for general use:

Phase 1

Healthy volunteers receive the investigational drug to help researchers study the initial safety and understand how the drug is processed by the body. Some phase 1 trials will include people with the disease after initial results are evaluated from healthy volunteers.

Phase 2

The investigational drug is given to a small number of people with the disease to learn more about how safe it is and how it is processed by the body. These trials may also evaluate effectiveness of the drug, and different doses to determine which should be studied further in future trials.

Phase 3

These trials include a larger number of people and are intended to generate enough information to establish whether the investigational medication can safely be administered, and whether it provides sufficient benefit to be made available to the public.

Understanding Clinical Research Terms

Clinical research terminology can be intimidating. We have created this glossary of clinical trial language to help you understand some of the key terms:

Clinical trial participants
Eligibility criteria
Independent ethics committee (IEC) or institutional review board (IRB)
Informed consent form (ICF)
Investigational medication or drug
Study medication or drug
Open-label, open-label extension
Single-blind
Double-blind
Placebo
Protocol
Randomization
Study team, or study site team

Use these links to tell a friend or family member about MERIDIAN